Girls Hostel-2, presently known as Girls Hostel Tower and also Hall of Residence 6 is the newest hall among all the 12 halls at IIT Kanpur constructed in between the Health Centre and Girls Hostel-1. This tallest hostel in the Institute comprising of 6 floors and was established in 2013 for the accocodation of UG Girls students of the Institute. But presently it provides accomodation to UG 1st, 2nd & 3rd students along with PG 2nd yr students also. It has 160 double seater rooms with a capacity of 320 students in whole divided in two blocks- A & B at each storey. Each block of each storey has its own RO water supply, washrooms, drying area, and balcony for an average of 26 students.There are also common floors on each floor each served for different purposes. The hall does not have separate buildings and thus provides much opportunity for interaction among the residents over batches which develops great bonding among the residents.
The hall has its own mess which daily provides the 3 times meal to the residents of the hall. It has a capacity of 200 students at a time. It also provides facility for the non residents of the hostel on coupon basis. The timings of the mess are as follows-
- Breakfast- 7:30am - 9:30am (Monday to Friday) & 8:00am - 10am (Saturday & Sunday)
- Lunch- 12:30pm - 2:30pm
- Dinner- 7:30pm - 9:30pm
The functioning of the mess from its monthly menu to the hygiene is managed the by the Mess Committee comprising of the Mess Secretary and other volunteers by each batch.
- Canteen : Along with the mess the hostel also provides a small canteen facility to the residents with tasty snacks from 2pm to 2am daily.
- Sports : The hall provides equipments for different outdoor and indoor sports along with several card & board games which can be issued by the residents.
- Beauty Parlour : It has its own beauty parlour at 1st floor which fulfills the vital beauty need of every girl student in the campus.
- Hobby Room : The 1st floor common room provides musical instruments, a foosball table and carrom boards where the residents can enjoy their free time.
- Gymnasium : A full gymnasium equipped with multi gym and other machines, mirrors, TT tables and LCD is constructed on the 2nd floor.
- Library : A mini hostel library with a collection of numerous books and studying facilities is build up on the 3rd floor common room.
- TV Room : The 5th floor common room is a fully carpeted TV room with a wide LED screen providing all the channels.
- Computer Centre : The hostel also has its own mini computer centre on the 6th floor equipped with 12 wireless Desktop systems.
Like every other hall, GH Tower also has its own unique culture which is developed by its own residents through the inter and intra hall events organised by the Hall Executive Committee(HEC). These events provide healthy interaction among the residents minimizing the gap among batches and developing bonding of seniors and juniors. Each year the HEC organises a GH Fresher's Night to welcome the UG & PG freshers to the hostel. Apart of these events, the hostel also celebrates national festivals like Independence Day, Republic Day, Holi, Diwali, etc together. Hall 6 also organises its Hall Day "Nazrana", giving tribute to the hall organized by the HEC with performances by the 1st year students inviting the whole campus to enjoy the function and admire its culture.