Book Club is a hobby club which comes under the Presidential Council of the Students' Gymkhana. During the semesters, the Club opens 7 days a week from 9:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. It has more than 7,000 books from 16 genres. Its has various facilities for the members of IIT Kanpur, providing books, indexing them, and getting reviews from readers.
Rules & Guidelines
The rules of the club can seen in three sub categories.
Joining the club
- Only members of the IIT Kanpur community (students, faculty members and academic staff) can avail the facilities of the club.
- Every member has to pay 30 rupees per semester that allows him/her a slot to issue one book at a time.
- A member can open as many slots as he/she wishes by paying accordingly.
Issuing a Book
- Books will be issued for a period of 2 weeks, a fine of 1 rupee per day will be levied after 2 weeks.
- Members can visit the club in New SAC and can issue a book with their institute ID Card.
- Books can be placed on hold. Once a book placed on hold by a member is returned, the club informs the member regarding the availability of the book.
- After the 2 weeks is over, the member can renew the book, subject to the condition that the book has not been placed on hold by another member.
- Loss or damage to a book beyond repair, requires the defaulter/s to either replace the book, or pay 1.2 times the cost of the book.
- Students are not allowed to register for the new semester until and unless all their dues are clear. Therefore it is advised to clear the dues beforehand to prevent unnecessary problems during registration
People can donate any number of used/new books to the Book Club. Also, Book Donors get free slots at the club. Donations can be done anytime between 9-10 at Book Club, Room 104, New SAC.