The department was formally established on 13th september, 2001 with the vision of conducting cutting edge teaching and research training in basic biology,bioengineering fields.Mr. Arun shourie ,Rajya Sabha M.P. from Uttar Pradesh, pledged Rs. 11.9 crores from his MPLADS funds to establish a full-fledged Biological Sciences & Bioengineering (BSBE) Department at IIT Kanpur.
BSBE offers both undergraduate (B. Tech.) and postgraduate (M. Tech. and PhD) programs.
M. Tech in BSBE M.tech program in BSBE(supported by Department of Biotechnology(DBT),Govt. of India) is refined to meet the needs of both research and industry.The program is for four semesters of which the last two semesters involve hands-on training and research. Midway through the program, students may apply for switch-over to the PhD program of BSBE. The program is designed for students from both biology and non-biology background.
BSBE offers to its undergraduate (UG) students five different options:
- B. Tech in BSBE (4 year program)
- B. Tech double major in BSBE (5 year program for students of other UG streams)
- B. Tech-M. Tech dual-degree in BSBE (5 year program for students admitted to B. Tech in BSBE)
- Dual-degree with M. Tech in BSBE (5 year program for students of other UG streams)
- Minor in "Tissue Engineering" (for students of other UG streams)
RESEARCH AND FACILITIES
The department of BSBE houses a range of high-end experimental facilities such as Scanning Electron Microscopy, X-ray crystallography and macromolecular crystallization setup and confocal imaging set-up for cell biology experiments. The department extends these facilities to potential users in collaborative and pay-for-use mode.
A key focus of the department is also on promoting academia-industry partnership.Students are encouraged to carry out their internship with industry partners. Collabration with industry sector especially pharmaceutical and biotechnology enterprises has been much fruitful.
- X‐ray crystallography facility (350 Sq ft) and Radioisotope facility (300 sq ft):
- The basement of the BSBE building houses these two facilities. These include the X-ray diffractor, scintillation counter, phosphoimager etc.
- Experimental Animal Facility (360 sq ft):
- The department has a small facility to house transgenic animals for research. This includes a make-shift room with individually ventilated cage system for animal rearing. Currently 5 different transgenic lines are being maintained, and 5 more are under import.
OTHER WEB RESOURCES
Official site of Department