With an objective to give you an opportunity to experience the sport of swimming and water polo, the swim centre offers excellent pool facilities , trained coaches and lifeguards to put you through the swimming program.It is very well-maintained and has all the good quality standard amneties and equipments.
The Pool provides you an ideal environment to cool off after a hectic day of classes and labs. Coach,V.R.Vadi, guides you through the learning process. He knows how to teach you swimming and the enthusiasm of the institute team inspires you to learn. Moreover, the fun part of it is that you have the support of enthusiastic institute swimmers and water polo players.
Welcome to swimming pool IIT kanpur
IIT Kanpur boasts of an Olympic-size 8-lane Swimming pool. The pool 50 meter long and 20 meter wide is located in the southern part of the campus. Swimming Pool is an Institute Community Facility.In addition to providing excellent facilities to the Institute Aquatics Team, the court remains open for all who wish to enjoy the sport from morning 5:00 A.M. to 7 P.M. in the night.
The head coach is Mr .Vivek Rao Vadi, who puts in his best efforts to train enthusiasts into becoming masters of the game.
The Aquatics Team, IIT Kanpur
The Aquatics Team is one of the most successful teams in the Inter IIT in the last decade, with a tally of tally of 9 medals in the last 12 editions of the Inter IIT Aquatics meet - Water Polo, comprising of 4 golds, 4 silvers, and 1 bronze.
The first aquatics team was formed in 1983, when aquatics was introduced in the Inter IIT. However, they did not taste much success. The members of the team used to apply for regular membership fee, had to use makeshift goal posts, and didn't have proper equipment. The team, as it stands today, started to form around 2002, with the vision of the coach Mr. Vivek Rao Vadi, and the captains from 2002,03 and 04 teams. The team which used to lose by a margin of 10 to 16 goals, started to close the gap, and finally won its first medal in the 2004 edition of the tournament. Since then the team hasn't looked back. With a gold and silver in the last 2 home Inter IITs, and a gold and 4th finish in the away ones, the Aquatics team at IITK is truly a phenomenon in its own.
Swimming pool membership is open for the following groups:
- IIT Kanpur employees/retired employees and their dependent wards.
- Employees of campus organizations (Post Office, State Bank of India, Union Bank of India, Kendriya Vidyalaya, Police Outpost,etc.) officially allowed to stay on campus and their dependent wards.
- Bonafide students of the Institute and their families.
- Alumni and their families.
Anyone other than the above mentioned will be treated as an outsider and will not be entitled to become a member of the swimming pool.
Becoming a member
Fill up the application form and submit it along with a photograph at the swimming pool office between 4:00 P.M. and 7:45 P.M., on all swimming pool working days. "For verification of authenticity of the applicant, official records like Identity card or health center booklet, etc should be produced at the time of submitting the application form."
- Registered students of IITK/Children of employees & Students-300/- per month.
- Employees of Inst. & campus org. / Project staff/ Dependent of *Employees & Students 480/- per month .
- IITK Alumni & their dependents(Adult) 800/- per month.
- IITK Alumni (Child) 500/- per month
- Retired Employees of IITK (Husband & Wife only) 300/- per month.
- Relatives of IITK Employees (Adult) 800/- per month.
- Relatives of IITK Employees (Child) 600/- per month.
- Daily guest charges-70 RS per slot.
Rules and Guidlines
The timings for visiting the pool has been divided into a total of 8 slots. There are 3 slots in the morning hours and 5 slots in the evening hours. First 7 of these slots are of 45 minutes each, while the last slot, which is meant for the practice of the institute aquatics team, is of 1 hr 20 mins. Those eligble do have a few different types of subscription options. He/she can either take a monthly or seasonal subscription of any one particular slot. Also there is an option to subscribe for a 15 number of slots, which subscriber can use all throughout the season, during any slot-time, but at double the normal rate.
1. 5:30 A.M. to 6:15 A.M.(I):-open to all.
2. 6:30 A.M. to 7:15 A.M.(II):-open to all.
3. 7:30 A.M. to 8:15 A.M.(II):-open to all.
1. 3:30 P.M. - 4:15 P.M.(I):-open to all.
2. 4:30 P.M. - 5:15 P.M.(II):-open to all.
3. 5:30 P.M. - 6:15 P.M. (III):-For students, staff and faculty (Children accompanied by a parent who is also a member of this slot are allowed)
4. 6:00 P.M. - 7:15 P.M.(IV):-For faculty, staff, married students & their families & girl students (Boys above 12 years are not allowed)
5. Swimming pool will be reserved for Institute aquatic team and CPA swimming students from 7:20 pm - 8:55 pm.
For budding swimming enthusiasts in the student community, the Games and Sports Council organizes a Sports Camp for various sports including Aquatics. The camp usually lasts 40 days starting in the first week of May and concludes by the 2nd week of June. It is a great opportunity for those who wish to take their game to the next level and make it to the Aquatics team.
- All Sundays (Weekly Off)
- 15th August -----Independence Day
- 02nd October -----Gandhi Jayanti